My Journey
"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music" Billy Joel
Being born into a society where 4 chord wonders run the charts and musicians are glorified for there public image, rather then there talent. You can only begin to imagine mine, and every other musically educated member of my era's disappointment.
My name is Charlotte Ross, or otherwise known as Charizard. During the first 21 years of my existence, Ive been asked many times why Im named after a Pokemon character and honestly, I have no clue.. but regardless of me liking my nickname, my fantastic school peers felt obligated to recreate my identity. So it was break or make for me, embrace my new found persona, or live a life surreal denial... well it was a good thing I liked Charizard.
Im a First year Advertising student attending the University of the Arts London. The vibe is crazy here! I'm surrounded by creative, like-minded individuals who are equally as enthusiastic about there education as I am. A statement I would never of associated with A level Mathematics. But most importantly, I am rubbing shoulders with educated musicians and kids who know the difference between legends in the making and one hit wonders.
Ive had a spiritual upbringing, and have always been encouraged never to allow my intellect hold boundaries over my imagination. Furthermore, never to conform to false ideologies of fashion and music. I haven't got the most conventional of families, but each eccentric member has taught me something incredible about music and life choices. I believe, the choices we make in life, big or small, all coincide with our knowledge and understanding of music.
For instance, I understand the importance of stereotypes. If used within the right context, they can be powerful representations of how an individual fits a certain era. Stereotypes can be used to show social unification, demonstrate what they as individuals believe and glorify individuality. But the most powerful stereotypes, are those which have evolved from a musical era.
"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."
Jimi Hendrix
Throughout the years, music has influenced many societal movements:
Baroque music,
Classical period (music),
Contemporary classical music,
Electronic art music,
Galante music,
Groupe des six,
Impressionist music,
Minimalism,
Minimalist music,
Modernism (music),
Neoclassicism (music),
Neoromanticism (music),
Post-minimalism,
Postmodern music,
Renaissance music,
Romantic music,
Second Viennese school,
Serialism,
20th century classical music,
21st-century classical music.
I would consider myself a British Rockster, infatuated by the psychedelic movements of the 70s whilst mentally entrapped by the beauty of 50's ska music. So, this blog will be documenting my journey of enlightenment. I will use this space to educate and share inspirational tracks and artists, from the 90s backwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment